According to industry data, roughly 7 million U.S. homeowners replace their roof each year and many are looking for new ‘green’, energy-saving options.
Traditional asphalt shingles are a petroleum product and require replacement every 15-20 years (or sooner), resulting in about 20 billion pounds of asphalt shingles ending up in U.S. landfills every year according to the EPA. Asphalt shingles also increase dependency on fossil fuels.
Metal roofs are considered a sustainable option because they are made of at least 25 percent recycled materials and are 100 percent recyclable. Old refrigerators, dishwashers, automobiles, and even aluminum cans can be recycled into a high-quality metal roof – with long-term warranties, often 50 years or more.
Here are a few things to know about eco-friendly metal roofs:
- Modern metal roofs have rust-proof coatings and are available in a wide range of styles to fit any neighborhood. Many resemble traditional roofing materials such as tile or shake with the added benefit of sustainability.
- Steel products can be recycled repeatedly without loss of strength. When you buy steel, you’re always buying recycled.
- For homeowners looking to be aggressive with green living initiatives, metal roofs serve as an excellent platform for photovoltaic systems, solar panels, or harvesting rainwater for reuse/irrigation.
- A metal roof has the ability to reduce both cooling and heating energy use, saving homeowners up to 25% in utility bills.
- Metal roofs are significantly lighter than other roofing products. A metal roof can often be installed directly over asphalt shingles, reducing landfill waste.
To learn more about quality metal roofing, visit the nonprofit Metal Roofing Alliance at www.MetalRoofing.com.
EXPLORE AMAZING PRODUCTS, NEW TRENDS AND TECHNOLOGIES, AND DISCOVER A WEALTH OF INFORMATION YOU NEED FOR YOUR SUSTAINABLE HOME BUILD OR RENOVATION.
How many hours do you spend in bed? A mattress that is nontoxic is imperative. We’ve scoped out the best brands of eco-friendly mattresses at every price point.
Want to hear some good news? According to the World Green Building Trends 2018 report from Dodge Data and Analytics, green building is officially a “global trend” and energy conservation is a top priority for people all over the planet. There are many choices of new (and old) materials which are being used in revolutionary ways.
With grid outages an ever common occurrence, you deserve the peace of mind that comes with knowing that you have access to safe, renewable energy.
SunPower leads the way in sustainability, having garnered more than 1,000 patents for solar innovation and bringing long-lasting clean energy to the masses. With over 35 years experience, their Maxeon solar cell and SunVault battery team up to create an efficient and resilient energy solution.