What Goes Into MoistureShield Composite Wood Decking
MoistureShield’s parent company, Advanced Environmental Recycling Technologies, Inc. (A.E.R.T.), located in Springdale, AR, is a leading plastics recycler and manufacturer of green composite building products. Our state-of-the-art 70,000 square-foot plastic recycling facility washes, cleans and separates polyethylene food packaging and wrapping films for the raw materials in our decking products. Even the building itself is designed with LEED certifications, with no storm water discharged from the site and no potable water, used in the manufacturing process. The energy efficient design includes a habitat for protected species and low emissions. It’s why the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency awarded us with the EPA Region 6 “Partnership for Environmental Excellence” Award.
Get to know A.E.R.T.’s unique recycling process with a few green FYI’s:
- MoistureShield composite wood decking and accessories are made with:
- 38% post consumer recycled content
- 57% pre-consumer recycled content
- 95% total recycled content
- No new trees are cut down to make MoistureShield Composite Decking.
- Conserves resources for the future.
- We are concerned with skyrocketing gas prices as much as you. Our process saves 1 million gallons a year.
- Not only does a 12´ x 12´ MoistureShield deck save 110 gallons of gas, but it also reduces greenhouse gas by 619 lbs. CO2 equivalent.
- The plastic and wood A.E.R.T. recycles annually is comparable to taking 54,000 vehicles off the road.
- LEED for Homes (v1.11a) awards points to projects for using Environmentally Preferable Products like MoistureShield® Decking.
- Section MR2-B provides 0.5 point for including a deck containing 25% post-consumer recycled content.
- Double Points: USGBC staff have suggested that builders request an additional 0.5 point for innovation and going beyond the requirements based on MoistureShield’s high post-consumer recycled content.
Visit MoistureShield to learn more and view the entire line of eco-friendly decking options.
Our team researches products, companies, studies, and techniques to bring the best of green building to you. Elemental Green does not independently verify the accuracy of all claims regarding featured products or manufacturers. Additionally, product and brand mentions on Elemental Green do not imply endorsement or sponsorship unless specified otherwise.