Environmental responsibility, economic prosperity
The Forest Stewardship Council’s mission is to promote environmentally sound, socially beneficial and economically prosperous management of the world’s forests. Their vision is one of meeting current needs for forest products without compromising the health of the world’s forests for future generations.
Do you love forests? Do you want to live a sustainable life and help secure our planet’s future? Watch this short video and find out who they are, what they do, and why they do it.
“You are, we are, the Forest Stewardship Council.”
Principles & Criteria
To achieve their mission and vision, FSC has developed a set of 10 principles and 57 Criteria that apply to FSC-certified forests around the world. The Principles include the following:
- PRINCIPLE #1: COMPLIANCE WITH LAWS AND FSC PRINCIPLES – Forest management shall respect all applicable laws of the country in which they occur, and international treaties and agreements to which the country is a signatory, and comply with all FSC Principles and Criteria.
- PRINCIPLE #2: TENURE AND USE RIGHTS AND RESPONSIBILITIES – Long-term tenure and use rights to the land and forest resources shall be clearly defined, documented and legally established.
- PRINCIPLE #3: INDIGENOUS PEOPLES’ RIGHTS – The legal and customary rights of indigenous peoples to own, use and manage their lands, territories, and resources shall be recognized and respected.
- PRINCIPLE #4: COMMUNITY RELATIONS AND WORKER’S RIGHTS – Forest management operations shall maintain or enhance the long-term social and economic well being of forest workers and local communities.
- PRINCIPLE # 5: BENEFITS FROM THE FOREST – Forest management operations shall encourage the efficient use of the forest’s multiple products and services to ensure economic viability and a wide range of environmental and social benefits.
- PRINCIPLE #6: ENVIRONMENTAL IMPACT – Forest management shall conserve biological diversity and its associated values, water resources, soils, and unique and fragile ecosystems and landscapes, and, by so doing, maintain the ecological functions and the integrity of the forest.
- PRINCIPLE #7: MANAGEMENT PLAN – A management plan — appropriate to the scale and intensity of the operations — shall be written, implemented, and kept up to date. The long-term objectives of management, and the means of achieving them, shall be clearly stated.
- PRINCIPLE #8: MONITORING AND ASSESSMENT– Monitoring shall be conducted — appropriate to the scale and intensity of forest management — to assess the condition of the forest, yields of forest products, chain of custody, management activities and their social and environmental impacts.
- PRINCIPLE # 9: MAINTENANCE OF HIGH CONSERVATION VALUE FORESTS – Management activities in high conservation value forests shall maintain or enhance the attributes which define such forests. Decisions regarding high conservation value forests shall always be considered in the context of a precautionary approach.
- PRINCIPLE # 10: PLANTATIONS – Plantations shall be planned and managed in accordance with Principles and Criteria 1-9, and Principle 10 and its Criteria. While plantations can provide an array of social and economic benefits, and can contribute to satisfying the world’s needs for forest products, they should complement the management of, reduce pressures on, and promote the restoration and conservation of natural forests.
Click through to learn more information about the forest stewardship council.
EXPLORE AMAZING PRODUCTS, NEW TRENDS AND TECHNOLOGIES, AND DISCOVER A WEALTH OF INFORMATION YOU NEED FOR YOUR SUSTAINABLE HOME BUILD OR RENOVATION.
How many hours do you spend in bed? A mattress that is nontoxic is imperative. We’ve scoped out the best brands of eco-friendly mattresses at every price point.
Want to hear some good news? According to the World Green Building Trends 2018 report from Dodge Data and Analytics, green building is officially a “global trend” and energy conservation is a top priority for people all over the planet. There are many choices of new (and old) materials which are being used in revolutionary ways.
With grid outages an ever common occurrence, you deserve the peace of mind that comes with knowing that you have access to safe, renewable energy.
SunPower leads the way in sustainability, having garnered more than 1,000 patents for solar innovation and bringing long-lasting clean energy to the masses. With over 35 years experience, their Maxeon solar cell and SunVault battery team up to create an efficient and resilient energy solution.