The Lifestream Backyard Cottage was designed and built to demonstrate healthy, innovative construction techniques and strategies for a more sustainable lifestyle. Built based on the principles of Building Biology, or Baubiologie, as it was developed in Germany, this home addresses many common concerns in standard building practice – especially those in relation to the health and wellbeing of the occupants.
By being built to standards that can appeal to those afflicted with chemical sensitivities, electromagnetic sensitivities, Sick Building Syndrome (SBS), Multiple Chemical Sensitivity (MCS), and other environmentally exacerbated diseases, Lifestream Solutions hopes to demonstrate an accessible sustainable building system for anyone to enjoy as a part of a healthy, preventative lifestyle that meets current codes while pushing the industry to enhance the code for healthy building practices.
Some of the Unique Features Include:
- Shielded Wiring – to mitigate electro-magnetic frequency radiation.
- Fiberglass Rebar – to avoid a web of metal in the foundations which causes distortions in the Earth’s natural magnetic frequency.
- Double Wall Framing – for energy efficiency and ability to control and regulate the interior air temperature and quality.
- Non-Toxic Materials – avoiding any formaldehyde or other toxins that off-gas.
- Heat Recovery Ventilator – removing old air and replenishing new air minimizing heat loss.
- Magnesium Oxide Board Siding – mold/mildew/fire/rot/pest resistant.
- Integrative Adaptable Systems Design – for solar panels, solar hot water heater, rainwater collection, etc.
- Edible Landscape – for productive use of yard and connection to the earth.
- Natural Lighting – to reduce electrical demand and promote well-being.
This project has been an adventure in innovation and execution with the ambitious goal to demonstrably raise the bar towards mindful construction in consideration of health, community, and our built environment. The Lifestream Cottage is Lifestream Solutions’ flagship project as a daring demonstration model, compelling conversation starter, and industry game changer. The integrative design/build process has allowed for a holistic philosophy to achieve manifestation as a living structure.
Learn more about this project at NW Green Home Tour and learn more about the builders at Lifestream Solutions.
EXPLORE AMAZING PRODUCTS, NEW TRENDS AND TECHNOLOGIES, AND DISCOVER A WEALTH OF INFORMATION YOU NEED FOR YOUR SUSTAINABLE HOME BUILD OR RENOVATION.
How many hours do you spend in bed? A mattress that is nontoxic is imperative. We’ve scoped out the best brands of eco-friendly mattresses at every price point.
Want to hear some good news? According to the World Green Building Trends 2018 report from Dodge Data and Analytics, green building is officially a “global trend” and energy conservation is a top priority for people all over the planet. There are many choices of new (and old) materials which are being used in revolutionary ways.
With grid outages an ever common occurrence, you deserve the peace of mind that comes with knowing that you have access to safe, renewable energy.
SunPower leads the way in sustainability, having garnered more than 1,000 patents for solar innovation and bringing long-lasting clean energy to the masses. With over 35 years experience, their Maxeon solar cell and SunVault battery team up to create an efficient and resilient energy solution.