Architect Richard Hawkes of Hawkes Architecture, renowned for his sustainable designs, built his family home in the English countryside using Passivhaus (passive house) techniques. As mentioned in the British online magazine, building, construction, design, “the iconic feature of this pioneering house is a scarily thin soaring arched roof. Made by gluing clay tiles together using Plaster of Paris without any formwork, this in turn supports over 100 tons of soil which is now host to a thriving wildflower habitat. The house has incorporated the country’s first Solar PV-T system, harnessing the sun’s energy as both heat and electricity and a phase change material heat storage system.”
- MVHR Heat recovery ventilation system
- 5kW heat exchanger linking heat store with MVHR system
- 220v voltage optimization Triple Glazed throughout
- 3.5kW PV-T system (PV and solar thermal combined)
- 4.5kW PV system
- 12kWh Li-Ion battery storage system
- 11kW wood pellet boiler linked to PCM store
- Immersun unit fitted
- 580 ltr Phase Change thermal store (1,200 ltr water equivalent)
- PCM thermal mass board fitted in south facing rooms
- 500m3 Rainwater harvesting system
- On-site wastewater treatment
- Extensive building physics & resource consumption monitoring
- Passivhaus certified
- NO underfloor heating or radiators
- 26,000 hand made clay tiles made 4 miles away from the site
- 10 tons of recycled newspaper insulation
- Super insulated – generally 300mm thick insulation
- Crushed glass bottle and recycled tire flooring
See more photos and learn more about this impressive project at Hawkes Architecture.
EXPLORE AMAZING PRODUCTS, NEW TRENDS AND TECHNOLOGIES, AND DISCOVER A WEALTH OF INFORMATION YOU NEED FOR YOUR SUSTAINABLE HOME BUILD OR RENOVATION.
How many hours do you spend in bed? A mattress that is nontoxic is imperative. We’ve scoped out the best brands of eco-friendly mattresses at every price point.
Want to hear some good news? According to the World Green Building Trends 2018 report from Dodge Data and Analytics, green building is officially a “global trend” and energy conservation is a top priority for people all over the planet. There are many choices of new (and old) materials which are being used in revolutionary ways.
With grid outages an ever common occurrence, you deserve the peace of mind that comes with knowing that you have access to safe, renewable energy.
SunPower leads the way in sustainability, having garnered more than 1,000 patents for solar innovation and bringing long-lasting clean energy to the masses. With over 35 years experience, their Maxeon solar cell and SunVault battery team up to create an efficient and resilient energy solution.