The Future Is Here
It used to be fictitious technology reserved for sci-fi movies, but it’s become an increasingly popular reality: smart green homes. Not only are there thermostats that automatically adjust based on your behavior and windows that change opacity based on sunlight – now, we have the ability to talk to our homes. Amazon introduced Echo in 2014 and since then, Google, Samsung, and Apple have all developed voice-controlled smart home ecosystems.
Business Insider conducted a survey asking consumers what they perceived as the main benefits of these systems and the top two were “hands-free control over my home” and “it feels futuristic and fun to have an AI assistant.” While we agree on both accounts, an even greater benefit is increasing the sustainability of your home. You can save energy. You can save water. You can even save food from going to waste by using a smart refrigerator.
Want to improve your home’s IQ? Check out our marketplace of products for smart green homes!
NOTE: We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Rachio Smart Sprinkler Controller
- Easy to control anywhere, anytime. Get complete access to monitor and adjust your sprinkler system from your phone, tablet or laptop.
- Automatically adapts for weather.
- Save up to 50% of your outdoor water use while keeping your plants healthy. EPA WaterSense Certified, eligible for rebate options up to 100% of retail value.
- Water with precision. Rachio uses specific yard details, advanced watering algorithms, and proven irrigation science to create accurate schedules customized to the particular needs of your yard.
- Rachio directly integrates with the best-connected home platforms (Amazon Alexa, Google Assistant, IFTTT, Nest, and more), so you have more options and more control.
TP-Link Smart Plug
- No hub required and also works with Amazon Alexa and Google Assistant for voice control
- Remote Access: Control devices connected to the Smart Plug wherever you have Internet using the free Kasa app on your smartphone
- Turn electronics on or off from anywhere with your tablet or smartphone using the free Kasa app (Compatible w/ Android 4.1 or higher & iOS8 or higher)
- Use Away-Mode to turn devices on and off at different times to give the appearance that someone is home while you are away
- Easy to use and install. Just plug a device into the Smart Plug and connect to your Wi-Fi network. 120VAC Volt Compatible
Switchmate: One-Second Installation Smart Lighting
- Switchmate automatically turns on lights as you arrive home or enter rooms.
- It is the first smart home product that can be used with absolutely no configuration, tools, wiring, or wifi. Switchmate instantly attaches magnetically to existing toggle or rocker switches and is controlled through the free app on your smart phone.
- Always makes it look like you are home for enhanced security with Switchmate’s timers that automatically turn your lights on/off, and function even when you’re away.
- Switchmate can be conveniently moved around the home or taken when you relocate. Just snap, tap, and start enjoying smart lighting.
Nest Learning Thermostat 3rd Generation
- Works with Amazon Alexa for voice control
- Auto-Schedule: Nest learns the temperatures you like and programs itself in about a week.
- Home/Away Assist: Nest automatically turns itself down when nobody’s home to help you save energy.
- Remote Control: Connect your thermostat to Wi-Fi to control the temperature from your phone, tablet or laptop.
- Energy Star: First thermostat to earn Energy Star. Your thermostat controls half your energy bill – more than appliances, more than electronics.
- Energy History: Check your Energy History in the Nest app to see how much energy you use and why.
- Nest Leaf: You’ll see the Leaf when you choose a temperature that saves energy. It guides you in the right direction.
Wink Relay – Smart Home Touchscreen Control Panel
- 4.3″ multi-touch screen allows access to all your smart products via the Wink app.
- 2x smart light switches can be customized to turn lights, scenes, or other smart products on/off.
- Temperature, humidity, and proximity sensors put even more data at your fingertips.
- Microphone and speaker for intercom functionality (coming soon).
- Replaces most single or double light switches.
MySmartBlinds Automation Kit
- Turn ordinary blinds into smartphone-controlled blinds. Kit fits all brands of 2- and 2.5-inch horizontal blinds.
- No-tools-required, out-of-the box, simple installation
- Simple-setup connectivity to your phone via Bluetooth – no hub required
- Set-it-and-forget-it scheduling, gradual tilt, and sun-tracking options
- Lithium rechargeable battery lasts 6-12 months. CHARGING OPTIONS: USB charging cord or solar panel (sold separately)
Ecobee3 Thermostat with Sensor
- Smart, really smart – intuitively understands when to turn on your heating or cooling equipment based on your home’s unique energy profile, the weather outside, and thousands of other data points to make sure you’re comfortable at all times.
- Knows you have a life – senses whether anyone’s home and which rooms are occupied, delivering comfort when you’re at home and saving you energy and money when you’re not.
- Lowers your energy bills – ecobee saves homeowners an average of 23%* annually, paying for itself in energy savings. (*Learn more at ecobee.com/savings)
- All-in-one home automation: Make your house a smart home in minutes, one room at a time. Simply replace your light switch with NuBryte Touchpoint. Connect & Protect, from any NuBryte console, or remotely via Nubryte APP.
- Home security: Detract and deter with 100 decibel siren and flashing overhead lights. Instant video alerts to your phone when triggered (with NuBryte APP). Built-in wide-angle camera and advanced motion detection up to 30’. No Contracts/Monthly Fees.
- Smart lighting: Touch-Free light control, and 5 easy-to-use lighting automation and digital dimming modes. Motion-based on/off, Morning Wake Up, Bedtime dimmer, Night light and Vacation lights. Works with standard dimmable bulbs.
- Intercom: Combine 2 or more Touchpoint consoles for an instant home intercom system. (WiFi)
- Family hub: Indoor/Outdoor Temperature & Humidity, 5-Day Weather Forecast, Calendar, Notifications and Event Alerts, Energy Monitoring, and more. Now, with Amazon Alexa voice control with Echo, Dot, and Tap.
- Wally’s smart technology monitors your home or business for water leaks, changes in temperature or humidity and open doors or windows—sending alerts via text, push notification, phone call or email when an issue is detected. Stay connected with the free Wally mobile app on iOS and Android, enabling real-time insights, emergency contact lists, Wally Rapid Response diagnostic and repair services and more!
- Water Leaks: Notifies you of potential water leaks through a local alarm or through mobile notifications.
- Temperature: Monitors temperature and provides mobile alerts when temperatures are outside of your chosen thresholds, reducing the risk of frozen pipes and other hazards.
- Humidity: Monitors indoor humidity levels and helps you to avoid the conditions for unhealthy mold growth.
- Open/Close: Notifies you of open doors and windows, helping you to better secure your home and reduce your monthly energy bill.
Our team researches products, companies, studies, and techniques to bring the best of green building to you. Elemental Green does not independently verify the accuracy of all claims regarding featured products or manufacturers. Additionally, product and brand mentions on Elemental Green do not imply endorsement or sponsorship unless specified otherwise.