According to the U.S. Energy Information Administration, 18% of the world’s energy consumption takes place in the U.S. – but our country represents only about 4% of the global population. What’s more shocking is that in the U.S., only 65% of residentially consumed energy is actually put to use, while the other 35% is wasted. In fact, Phys.Org estimates that with residential and commercial energy use combined, the US as a whole uses less energy than it wastes. The upside to this sad tale is that it’s easy to make small changes in your home that can greatly reduce the amount of wasted energy each year. Unplugging appliances that aren’t in use is one of the easiest ways to cut off wasted energy, made even easier by adding a few power strips to your home and switching the strip off to disconnect idle electronics. Using ENERGY STAR-certified products and installing energy-efficient windows are other great ways to help your home become more energy-efficient. Check out the infographic below to learn where the energy hogs in your home are, and for more info about how to minimize your home’s wasted energy.

energy hogs in your home

Infographic courtesy of Homeselfe.